Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 15 - Blinman, SA

We got up early and had a cooked breakfast (which was very tasty).  Halfway through Mum cooking hers and Dad's breaky, the power turned off so they had to finish it on our camping gas stove.  It turns out that the whole town of Blinman is run on a generator which had packed up.  The towns people managed to get the backup generator started so all was well!

After breakfast we all headed out to the Blinman Mine Underground Experience.     
We were given hard hats with lights to wear as we traveled through some of the old copper mine tunnels.



The mine tour was really good, very interesting.  The tour guide was informative, discussing what was involved in mining copper in the past.
 
Copper (greeny flecks) that was mined
The tour involved sounds and light which helped it feel like a more immersive experience.  I particularly liked the projected miner's face on the rock (hopefully you will be able to see it in the pic!)
Packaging for dyamite that the miners used. They found the packaging on the floor of one of the old tunnels.
Miners candles

Face of a miner
After the mine tour, we headed to Parachilna to have lunch at the renowned Prairie Hotel.  The Prairie Hotel specialty Feral Mixed Grill is in the Gourmet Traveler top 100 gourmet food experiences in Australia. 
We, of course, saw some lovely scenery on the way to Parachilna.
We finally arrived at the Prairie Hotel, had a drink and ordered lunch.



Mum and James ordered a kangaroo burger each and Dad and I decided to share the feral mixed grill, with a side order of chips with 'prairie dust'.
The feral mixed grill was quite small. It had a small piece of kangaroo steak, emu filet mignon and a camel sausage.  It was quite nice, although I felt like I could hardly eat the camel sausage. I manage to eat a tiny bit but that was it.  It didn't taste horrible I just didn't like the idea of eating camel.  Camels remind me a bit of horses so when I was eating the tiny bit of sausage, I felt like I was eating a horse haha!   The rest of the feral mixed grill was good (kangaroo was my favourite) and the burgers were very tasty.

After lunch we headed back to Blinman through Glass Gorge.  It was absolutely beautiful!! There are native pine trees everywhere, on the side of the road, over the hills and even growing out of the rocky cliffs. It had a bit of an American vibe around the Glass Gorge.
We stopped at a river bed in the Glass Gorge.  It was a stunning area and my photo does not do it justice at all.  

My brother was annoying me so I thought he deserved a good kick in the stomach ;-)
We arrived back at Blinman and headed to the pub for a drink.  Afterwards Mum and I went out to do a geocache and have a bit of a drive around town.
Next stop tomorrow, Wilpena Pound, SA!


No comments:

Post a Comment