Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 6 - Cameron Corner, QLD to Innamincka, SA

It was absolutely freezing last night! We just couldn't get warm. I had two pairs of socks on and I was still frozen! It was very cold in the morning too when we all woke up.

We packed up the tent and headed to Cameron Corner to fill up with petrol. I took a picture of the famous dingo fence that we camped near.


I didn't get a good shot of the Cameron Corner store yesterday because of all the cars so I took the opportunity to get a quick snap out the car window.


It doesn't look all that spectacular outside but it was quite cool inside, as you can see from the photos from my other blog post. Dad and James filled up their cars with petrol. It cost $2.20 a liter!

After filling up with petrol we started heading towards


We drove for a bit then came across an abandon doubles decker bus in the middle of no where! It has been there for an extremely long time. We decided to stop and have a look at the old bus and take some photos.














James decided to add his mark to the bus too!





After traveling on the main dirt road for a bit, we turned onto the Old Strzelecki track which was different to the main dirt roads. It was a smallish dirt track and was fun to drive (I got to drive this bit woo lol). There were so many 4wds on it though.

We stopped a bit later for a cup of tea break and a sausage.


I needed to pee but there was only small bushes to hide behind!


I picked the biggest bush I could find and hoped no one was going to drive past because it didn't cover me at the sides lol. Of course the moment I choose to go two 4wds come past!! I am sure they saw me haha, hopefully I blended into the shrubs a bit ;-)

The area we drove through has a lot of oil and gas mining machines. We drove up to one to get a closer look. It was huge and loud. It was quite cool looking out and seeing all these machines on the horizon.


After a bit more driving we finally arrived at Innamincka.





Just like Cameron Corner it was packed! A lot of the people were the same ones from Cameron Corner and Tibooburra.


We had a drink in the Innamincka Hotel and decided to go to the Dig Tree to set up camp. The dig tree is the place where Burke and Wills, the famous explorers had a support camp set up. The support crew left their supplies under the ground with the message 'dig 3ft NW' carved in a tree. We haven't looked at it yet though because it got too dark.

We set up camp on the banks of Coopers Creek near the dig tree.


I helped set up the tent, built a fire and cooked tea. James got a flat tyre driving to the dig tree. He wasn't too happy about that, but he managed to repair it!


It is absolutely freezing again! Hopefully it will be warmer in the tent tonight. I have a hot water bottle, two tops on, thermal pants and tracksuit pants and two pairs of socks on! Not to mention a sleeping bag, and two blankets hehe. It shall be interesting!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Innamincka, SA

No comments:

Post a Comment